New Medicare Beneficiary Identifier Coming Soon
Beginning in April, Medicare is going to begin replacing current Social Security based ID numbers for Medicare recipients with new 11 character length Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers (MBI). For more information about the new MBIs, check out: https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/New-Medicare-Card/.
Therefore, beginning April 1st every practice must have a system in place for asking your Medicare recipients if they have received their new Medicare card containing an MBI. You should keep a spreadsheet in your office of each Medicare patient to ensure you obtain the new MBI AND report it to MBPros. If a Medicare patient comes in three times per week, ask them every visit if they have their new card until they do present you their new Medicare card.
For our Premium, PremiumPlus and Platinum Service providers only: When you do obtain the new MBI for a Medicare patient, you must promptly report this to us. (For our Basic Service providers, you must obtain and enter the information in Medisoft beginning April 1, 2018).
- Providers must log into the Support Suite and submit a ticket with the patient's name and the new MBI.
- Do NOT submit another patient form for that patient if the patient is an existing patient for whom we previously billed.
- I will repeat that. Do NOT submit another patient form for that patient if the patient is an existing patient for whom we have previously billed.
- You MUST, MUST, MUST log into the Support Suite and submit a ticket with the name of the Medicare patient and the new MBI. If you have multiple patients to report, be sure to enter them all in one ticket (you do not have to do separate tickets per patient).
- On the spreadsheet your office creates to track if the Medicare patient has presented his/her new card with the MBP you should include a column to indicate the date you submitted a ticket to MBP with the new info.
- If your office is using an EMR which we access to obtain patient info and billing (such as TherapyNotes, WebPT or Practice Fusion), you still must log into the Support Suite and submit a ticket with the new MBI. Do NOT just update the information in your EMR.